Sunday, March 20, 2005

What happens when the sun goes down....

Until recently, dental floss served as a means to tie something together in a pinch. Come on nah, who actually uses that stuff? Well, I am a convert. It is true that my unhealthy eating habits may be killing my arteries. Hell, I can feel the blockage resulting from every white castle burger. However, I will get the last laugh. Health nuts that eat right and routinely exercise still may be killing their arteries by ignoring that little white box of floss. You can add years to your life by spending 2-3 minutes a night??? Sign me up...

According to floss.com, (yeah, who knew there was a floss.com) you can add up to 6 years to your life expectancy by flossing regularly. The site explains, " The reason is that if bacteria that causes periodontal disease is allowed to build up, it can trigger an immune reaction which can cause your arteries to age." The research backing this was done by Dr. Michael F Roizen and his work can be found [here]

Other benefits of flossing include better breath, less plaque, reduced tooth decay, and a general feeling of self-worth. Floss.com also shows that "People with periodontal disease are 1.5-2 times as likely to suffer a fatal heart attack and 3 times as likely to suffer a stroke" and "Mothers of prematurely born babies were 7 times more likely to have advanced periodontal disease than mothers whose babies were normal weight at birth". So, be a good mother and floss your teeth.


How do you do this? The process is severely complicated. Check out an informational presentation [here] Click on the floss tab and hold onto your seat.

Now, as will be common with this site, I will not display any information I find conflicting with my viewpoint. You only get my side of the story. I supply you with what I choose to believe, and you critically evaluate this information by yourself. Feel free to comment and tell me I am wrong. And, in defense that I am 100% right about flossing, check out [the tooth fairy's website] She supports flossing and that's good enough for me.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home